e-mail: info@futures.uk.com   Telephone: 01702 415300 Fax: 01702 584611

A school rooted in success at the

heart of the community

Home Information Students Teaching & Learning Academy Conversion Contact Us Vacancies

Interim Executive Board Meeting Minutes


Date and Time: Wednesday 12th February 2014, 5.00PM

Venue: Futures Community College, Southchurch Boulevard


In attendance

John Grover, Chair (JG) Stuart Reynolds, Headteacher (SR) Dr Paul Hayman (PH) Neil Bates (NB) Murray Foster (MF) Phil Warner (PW) Julie Lapslie - Clerk


Apologies

Margaret Wilson (MW) Jane Theadom (JT)


13/14/10 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE


Apologies were received from Margaret Wilson and Jane Theadom.

These were accepted.


Members welcomed Phil Warner, LA, to the meeting.


13/14/11 DECLARATION OF INTEREST/CONFLICT OF INTEREST

No declarations of interest in the agenda were received.

No changes were noted to the business interest forms 2


13/14/12 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

The minutes from the meeting held on the 20th January 2014 were signed as a true and correct record.


13/14/13 MATTERS ARISING

13/14/03 Business Interest Forms have been completed by all members.

13/14/04 Terms of Reference have been circulated and approved via email. A copy is to be forwarded to the clerk to maintain on file.

ACTION: JOHN GROVER

13/14/06 *Typing amendment* replace ‘staff’ ‘ with safe’.

 

13/14/06 Members were provided with an extract pack from  the LA circulated with the school plan for 2012/13. The data provided a breakdown of pupils with SEN with and without statements. Members noted the lack of consistency in terms of statementing across the borough. Members noted that some pupils may have been receiving 1:1 support in their Junior school and issues had not been identified as a problem at this stage.


PW agreed to provide members with details of updates in terms of statements and proposed changes.

ACTION: PHIL WARNER


SR agreed to look at the numbers provided in more detail following the meeting.

ACTION: STUART REYNOLDS


13/14/06 SR and NB have met to discuss the lack of students taking up apprenticeships and discussed the requirement to prepare students for this opportunity. This would be for students whom the traditional curriculum is not suitable.


13/14/06 Data outlining the utilisation of pupil premium within the borough is being compiled. JT has commissioned a group, this is to be led by Nicky Lamonte. Data will be provided to members of the IEB when available.

ACTION: JANE THEADOM

13/14/08 Members are to receive a report back on staffing later in the meeting.


13/14/14 TERMS OF REFERENCE

Members unanimously agreed that the Interim Headteacher should be a voting member of the IEB. Members ratified the previously circulated Terms of Reference.

RATIFIED

13/14/15 ANY OTHER URGENT BUSINESS

Governors agreed to discuss the following items under any other business:

Safeguarding

Sports Hall Lighting

Insurance for staff absence

Complaints Policy and Procedure


13/14/16 HEADTEACHER’S REPORT

Governors were provided with a report from the Headteacher. The main points of discussions were noted as follows:


- Attendance improved w.c. 10th February 2014 to 94.3%.

- There is some inconsistency in terms of the record keeping as students attending Seabrook are recorded as educated off site and exclusions were being reported as an absence. A shifted school day is being ran for the relevant students.

- One student has been recommended for permanent exclusion. A Discipline Panel is to convene to consider this exclusion on Monday 24th January 2014 at a time to be confirmed.

ACTION: CLERK

- There are a number of staff on sick leave currently. Members noted the requirement to recruit specialist teachers in maths, science and English as a matter of urgency, and requested support from the LA in respect of this.


ACTION: JANE THEADOM

PHIL WARNER


- Members were provided with a confidential update in respect of capability and occupational health issues.


- Students worked with the SLT in respect of the Deputy Headteacher recruitment and feel positive about the changes. Four shortlisted candidates were interviewed. Ray Lawrence and Tabitha Hudson have been appointed as Deputy Headteacher’s.


- There is currently one permanent Assistant Headteacher.


- The following teaching staff appointments have also been made following the last meeting of the IEB:

Tilly Burrows Head of Year 8/Teacher of English

Leanne Reel (internal) Head of Year 7

Robert McCallen (internal) Head of Year 9

Jay Plucknett (internal) Head of Year 10

Rebecca Ford (Internal) Head of Year 11


- The following support staff appointments have been made following the last meeting of the IEB:

- Kieran Dyer Curriculum plus Supervisor

- Lisa Redknapp Receptionist/Administrator

- The first stage of the consultation process has taken place. Nicola Reynolds, Essex HR, continues to provide HR advice to the school.

- Interviews have taken place for the Head of Maths and Head of English positions.

- It is anticipated that positions for science and maths will be filled prior to Easter 2014.


- Supply costs are currently high. Members of the IEB unanimously agreed that the school should overstaff and write into contracts that cover

will be part of the future employee’s role. Members agreed that this could potentially create a more expensive staffing structure but was a good strategy to equalise the budget and stabilise the education for the pupils. It was also felt that this would help raise standards and result in school improvement.

- Members were advised that there is currently no flexibility for secondments from other schools.

- Members requested that the LA urgently contact other boroughs to ascertain if there was any availability for secondment or relocation.

ACTION: JANE THEADOM

PHIL WARNER


- Members discussed the potential opportunity to appoint NQT’s to a local school and second them to Futures, if appropriate. This would be underwritten by the LA.


- A staff training day is to take place on Friday 14th February 2014, this will focus on assessment for learning and marking as well as the HMI Section 8 Monitoring Visit and Bill Stoneham’s visit reviewing the progress teaching members of staff have made.


- Chris Cheswright is currently undergoing a programme of paired observations with Middle Leaders and School Leaders.


- The Extended Leadership Team is to be expanded to include Heads of Department. ‘What makes an outstanding lesson?’ and ‘what to look for when you observe’ are questions to be addressed by the team on the training day.


- Current teaching judgements are as follows:

7% Outstanding

47% Good

34% Requires Improvement

12% Inadequate


- The school is continuing to build on record keeping and ensure this is accurate. Progress is not relating to attainment, if pupils are not

 making good progress this cannot correlate to good teaching and learning. A new round of observations is to take place on Monday 24th

February 2014.


13/14/17 CHILD PROTECTION

Members were advised that a member of staff has raised concern at the level of safety and wellbeing of students and teachers as an issue to the Safeguarding Governor, Neil Bates.


Members were advised that a process of sanctions is being put in place for incidents of unacceptable behaviour. There have been a number of incidents where staff have been pushed, this is being dealt with by using curriculum plus, where necessary, as well as other appropriate sanctions.


Information is not available in all files and members of the pastoral team are on differing contracts.


Members noted the requirement for the Seabrook College to expand further.


Members were advised that the staff changes were believed to be having an unsettling effect on a small number of students. The school is continuing to work hard in order to reduce exclusions and improvement strategies are in the process of being developed.


Members were assured that the site is not unsafe for students or staff at any time.


Neil Bates, Safeguarding Officer, agreed to liaise with the staff member concerned in order to discuss further and feedback any further concerns to the Headteacher.

ACTION: NEIL BATES


Some students are not engaging with curriculum plus. A separate ‘shift’ of school times is to be implemented to ensure that students have the opportunity of being educated, whilst not interacting with other students.

 

Members discussed the potential use of the bungalow within the school grounds. This could be set up as a separate area and be supported by an intensive staff supervision.


Neil Bates advised that there may be a potential opportunity to locate the Social Work in the Community team within Prospects College in order for the school to be able to utilise the bungalow. Discussions are to take place with the Local Authority in respect of this.

ACTION: PHIL WARNER

JANE THEADOM

NEIL BATES

STUART REYNOLDS


13/14/18 FINANCE

Members were provided with a financial update. John Grover and Murray Foster have visited the school and met with Chris Brown to review in detail.


The following points were noted:


- A new reception area is to be put in place in order to allow controlled access for students, staff, and visitors.


Members were advised that should the school go into deficit budget monthly returns would need to be submitted, in place of quarterly returns. A five year plan would also need to be in place.


Members were advised that the LA have verbally confirmed support of the predicted financial position for 2014/15. Written confirmation of this support is to be obtained by the school.

ACTION: STUART REYNOLDS


Members discussed the predicted income of £5,565,938 against proposed expenditure of £5,910,953 and the requirement to set a balanced budget.


There are currently 110 pupil applications for 2014/15, ensuring stable funding for the next academic year.


Members requested a more detailed explanation of version ‘2’ in terms of impact and a two/three year detailed budget forecast. This would also be a requirement from the Local Authority.


Cashflow within the school is currently low, this is expected to improve within the next two months. Some of this may be due to 100% of shared payments being made by the school, then awaiting reimbursement.


Chris Brown is to prepare an analysis of where resources are being shared and the sums of monies involved. Members noted the requirement to form a future SLA agreement regarding the use of premises. Members noted the positive working relationship between Futures and Prospects.


An internal audit has been carried out, there are about 30 control comments to focus on, 21 are to be completed by the end of March 2014. An updated action plan is to be provided to IEB members.

ACTION: CHRIS BROWN


Members noted the end of the Building Capacity Programme contracts as at 28th February 2014.


Members unanimously agreed to defer the payment to the Local Authority until March 2014 as outlined.

RATIFIED


A schedule of the schools utilisation of the pupil premium is being prepared by Chris Brown, as well as the preparation of the 3 and 5 year budget plan. This information will be fed back to the IEB as soon as available.

ACTION: AGENDA ITEM


Financial Regulations

Members confirmed receipt of the previously circulated Financial Regulations. Members requested the standard LA template to be circulated, with recommended authorisation limits, prior to ratification.

ACTION: CLERK

Any reference to the Finance Committee is to be removed, as this has been temporarily replaced by the IEB. Any reference to Committee’s and/or Full Governing Body is to be amended to reflect the context of the IEB.

 

Members requested clarification as to why a member of staff had been highlighted within the document.


Amended regulations are to be presented for ratification at the next meeting of the IEB.

ACTION: CHRIS BROWN

AGENDA ITEM


13/14/19 TARGETS

Members discussed the requirement for the IEB to establish its own measures/targets in order to ensure it has been effective. Neil Bates and Dr Hayman agreed to meet to discuss this further and produce a document outlining the aims of the IEB. Members discussed the importance of not compromising the School Development Plan and focussing only on matters that relate directly to Governance. Phil Warner agreed to circulate the twenty questions Governing Bodies should ask themselves to members.

ACTION: PHIL WARNER


13/14/20 FEEDBACK FROM AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY

John Grover and Murray Foster have visited with Chris Brown.

Dr Paul Hayman continues to visit the school on a regular basis.

Neil Bates is to arrange a safeguarding follow up visit.


13/14/21 LEADERSHIP UPDATE

Governors unanimously ratified approval of the appointment of Ray Lawrence and Tabitha Hudson as Deputy Headteacher’s.

RATIFIED


Headteacher Recruitment

The advertisement for a Headteacher was placed on Friday 7th February 2014 and deadline for applications is 28th February 2014. Members noted the requirement to liaise with Jane Theadom in respect of interview dates.

ACTION: JOHN GROVER


13/14/22 ACADEMY STATUS

Governors noted the requirement to continue to investigate information as circulated.


13/14/23 POLICIES

Members confirmed receipt of the previously circulated Complaints Policy and Procedure. These policies are based on the Essex model policies.


The following amendment was agreed Stage 3     Complaints ‘procedure’


Governors ratified the policy and procedure, subject to the proposed amendment.

RATIFIED


Members were advised that all standard Essex Policies are adopted and are in place.

PLEASE NOTE, THIS WAS AGREED UNDER THE PREVIOUS GOVERNING BODY, HOWEVER NOT ALL POLICIES HAVE UNDERGONE STAKE HOLDER CONSULTATION.


13/14/24 COMMUNICATION

IEB minutes have been uploaded onto the school website.

 

Stuart Reynolds is to prepare a ‘newsletter/advertisement’ for publication in the Evening Echo outlining positive work taking place within the school.


A newsletter is to be sent to parents, followed up by half termly updates, once established this will include an update from the IEB.


Members were advised that Prospects College has a marketing and communications department based in Basildon that may be able to help with the preparation and publication of these documents.

ACTION: STUART REYNOLDS


13/14/25 DOCUMENTS FOR INFORMATION

Updated exclusion documents were previously circulated and received by members of the IEB.


13/14/26 ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Safeguarding – previously discussed.


Staff Insurance

Members confirmed receipt of the previously circulated ‘staff absence’ insurance documents. Members unanimously ratified approval of the school no longer continuing with staff insurance payments.


Sports Hall Lighting

Members confirmed receipt of the previously circulated Sports Hall Lighting document, and quotes in accordance with the Financial Regulations.


Members were advised that the school has previously hired lighting during examination periods.

Governors unanimously ratified approval of the A C Webb Electrical at a cost of £12,799.46.

RATIFIED


13/14/27 DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING


10th March 2014 5.00PM


Please note this meeting will include the budget ratification and the next part

of the redundancy consultation.


22nd April 2014 5.00PM


John Grover agreed to contact all members of the IEB in order to arrange future meeting dates.


There being no further business the meeting ended at 7.40PM.