e-mail: info@futures.uk.com   Telephone: 01702 415300 Fax: 01702 584611

A school rooted in success at the

heart of the community

Home Information Students Teaching & Learning Academy Conversion Contact Us Vacancies

Interim Executive Board Meeting Minutes


Date and Time: Thursday 5th June 2014, 5.00PM

Venue: Futures Community College, Southchurch Boulevard


Clerk: Mrs Julie Lapslie Julie.lapslie@blueyonder.co.uk


In Attendance

Stuart Reynolds, John Grover, Dr Paul Hayman, Murray Foster, Margaret Wilson, Neil Bates, Jane Theadom, Phil Warner Julie Lapslie – Clerk


Demonstrates challenge  


13/14/58 Apologies for Absence

No apologies were received.


13/14/59 Declaration of Interest/Conflict of Interest

No changes were noted to the Business Interests Forms.


No conflicts of interests in the agenda were received.


13/14/60 Minutes of the Previous Meeting

The minutes from the meeting held on the 22nd April 2014 were signed as a true and correct record.


13/14/61 Matters Arising

Action Points

Jane Theadom

13/14/42 Arrange for Mike Singleton to liaise with Chris Brown in respect of pupil numbers.

Completed

13/14/43 Arrange for June Edwards to liaise with Chris Brown

in respect of the Asset Management Plan.

Completed

13/14/43 To liaise with Joe Chesterton to clarify the situation in respect of the 106 agreement.

Information requested

13/14/43 To arrange for Joe Chesterton to liaise with Chris Brown in respect of staffing predictions.

Completed

13/14/43 To feedback to members in respect of the

potential purchase of a bio-mass green boiler.

Awaiting feedback

13/14/45 To liaise with Adam Keating to produce a profile of

the new Leadership team.

Completed

13/14/45 To contact Jenny Naish in order for the school

to produce a pupil perception survey.

Work has commenced

Stuart Reynolds

13/14/43 To look at room allocation when timetabling.

The school will continue to require the use of some of the Prospects building on an ongoing basis.


13/14/35 Prepare a report on the impact of the Leap Programme

Completed

13/14/45 To produce revised attendance data as discussed.

To produce detailed exclusion data in respect of the impact of behaviour management.

Completed

(data outlined in Headteacher’s Report)

13/14/49 To circulate agenda and OFSTED report prior to the 26th April 2014.

Completed

13/14/52 To respond to David Laws MP.

Completed

Margaret Wilson

13/14/43 To liaise with Chris Brown in respect of a potential

bursar to carry out quarterly scheduled visits.

Completed

(detailed within the Finance Report)

Clerk

13/14/17 To advise Deborah Lennon-Wood of the future

IEB meeting dates.

To ensure Safeguarding is reported on each agenda.

Completed

John Grover

13/14/35 To provide an IEB update for the school’s newsletter.

Completed


13/14/62 Headteacher’s Report

Members noted previous comments made by Neil Bates in respect of future reporting.


The following points were discussed:


Attendance is dropping slightly, it is currently fractionally higher than this time last year.


Members noted the breakdown of attendance.

 

The average mid-year admissions attendance is 82.5% as opposed to the whole school which is 90.97%. The school is insisting that all Year 11’s attend school who are not on study leave, this is having a negative impact on the figures.


Members requested that this situation should be noted by the LA as this should not have a detrimental effect on figures.


There is a large number of Level 2 and 3 attendance meetings within school. 8 students are at Level 3, which represents 45% - 65% attendance. The school has followed all procedures, however this has not been taken to the next stage by the LA. Members agreed that the school should be able to demonstrate clear consequences for non-attendance. The Level 2 and 3 absences result in a negative 2% impact on attendance overall, the school would be on target if this figure were addressed.

ACTION: JANE THEADOM


Year 10 has the lowest attendance, exclusions are also rising within this year group and they have the least number of rewards, is there a correlation in respect of this data?

The Head of Year has been given feedback in respect of these issues. There is a direct correlation between exclusions and absence.


The two year groups of most concern are currently Years 10 and 8.


Year 10 is a key issue and this is the year that the school will be judged upon, in terms of GCSE results next year. There is 87% average attendance, this is far too low to secure good results next year, are there strategies in place to secure improvement in attendance?

The attendance is reflected in the exclusion rate, some students are avoiding situations, such as curriculum plus. The school have re-focussed the pastoral team in order to look at the overall attendance of students under 92% and the reward system. Rewards with an ‘instant impact’ are to be put in place. Interventions in year 10 have resulted in a decrease in attendance.


A potential Proms Points system is to be investigated further for Year 10. Uptake this year was 30% for the Prom.

 

Members noted that the ‘on calls’ register now involves stricter recording, and the level of ‘tolerance’ is now lower. IEB members were invited to visit the school in order to evidence the improved atmosphere around the school.

ACTION: IEB MEMBERS

‘No Excuses’ Policy Posters are evidenced in every room, the reporting system is to feed into the SIMS system and the Futures 5 basic requirements of behaviour are evidenced around the school.


A new Head of Year 8 has been recruited, and started in May.

 

Members agreed that students attending the shifted schools programme should be awarded a full days attendance, in accordance with required guidelines.


Members noted the requirement for students in Years 9 and 10 to receive rewards and have good behaviour acknowledged quickly.

Members were advised that Year 9 and Year 7 have been the first two year groups with no ‘on-calls’. This has been communicated to all staff and announced in assemblies.


Is reliance held at Senior Management level or are class teachers taking more responsibility?

The school are looking at developing Middle Leadership. Support is being provided, where required.


The Leap Programme is having a positive impact, students are taken off of the programme once they have reached the required levels. Prefects are currently reading with students on a Thursday and Friday. A majority of students find this a positive experience.


The Leap Programme has had far more impact on KS3 than in KS4, due to better student engagement.


Assessment Data

SIMS is currently being implemented in order to ensure that data is transparent and open, and that the Senior Management team are able to hold staff to account.


Members agreed the requirement to have data presented in a way in order to understand progress. Members requested that Stuart Reynolds challenge the individual who produced the data in order that the presentation of data be improved and presented appropriately.

ACTION: STUART REYNOLDS

Members expressed concern that the data presented did not allow them to understand which pupils were on track to achieve 5 CGSE’s A-c.


Members requested a profile of ‘potential’ 5 A-C figures, including English and maths, in order that the IEB can track where the school is on track and identify ‘slippage’. Members noted the requirement for a baseline figure in order to monitor improvements.


Members identified further discrepancies in data presented in a majority of subject areas reported.


Members requested additional data for three and four levels progress to be provided.

ACTION: STUART REYNOLDS

Middle leaders have now received training on how to use FFT data.


Members requested that the LA provide the school with KS2 data in order to evaluate which students are making progress and to be able to target students as they join the school.

ACTION: JANE THEADOM


Staffing

Members were provided with a list of proposed staffing for 2014/15.


What teaching commitments do Leadership team have?

For next year this will be 8 sessions a week for the DHT and potentially 16 for the AHT.


Members unanimously agreed that modelling of good teaching by the Senior Leadership team was essential, this would also have a positive impact on results.


Members noted that the school currently have staff vacancies in Business Studies, History and Technology. The school have candidates for these vacancies and, once filled, the school will be fully staffed. The school is looking to recruit additional English staff in order to overstaff.


What does being a middle leader mean here?

A middle leader is a Head of Year or Head of Department. There is a generic job description for a middle leader, and a separate job description for a Head of Year or Head of Department.


Members requested a timetable breakdown of the teaching commitment of the SLT and middle leaders in order to ascertain allocated teaching team.

ACTION: STUART REYNOLDS

Members were advised that Chris Brown is now a permanent member of staff.


Members congratulated Stuart Reynolds on the amount of effort that has been put into recruitment.


13/14/63 LANDMARK DEVELOPMENTS

Members welcomed Landmark Developments to the meeting. Landmark Developments had contacted the school in advance of submitting a development proposal to the LA. Members advised that they were not able to discuss any proposed developments and agreed to be advised of the date of the Cabinet meeting with the LA.


Landmark Developments left the meeting.


13/14/64 CURRICULUM UPDATE

Members were provided with a draft curriculum plan for 2014, for discussion and approval (copy attached to signed minutes).


MFL is not available for Year 10 students as a lesson, however SHSG have offered to support the school with an after school MFL provision.


Members noted that MFL will become compulsory in Primary School from September 2014.


ICT in Year 11 is to be used to support maths and science teaching at different points throughout the year. If students have commenced an ICT course, this provision will continue after school.


Citizenship is to be included within the pastoral programme for year 11 and is in the timetable for all other years.


KS3

The data demonstrates that students are performing badly in maths in relation to English, why are you giving maths less periods than English?

Members suggested that art and technology combine which would result in an additional period for maths.


Why is there is no RE in year 11?

Members were provided with NAHT framework guidelines and advised it was down to individual schools as to how this is delivered.


Members unanimously agreed to model KS3 Model B, with a reduction in MFL to 1 lesson resulting in 4 lessons each week of maths, English and science.

RATIFIED

Model B for year 11 was ratified.

RATIFIED


13/14/65 SCHOOL ACTION PLAN

Members confirmed receipt of the updated School Action Plan (copy attached to minutes).


The plan is now available on a shared drive, all staff have access to this.


Members noted that the document continues to be updated with action dates and monitoring actions. A suggestion was made that the document should have more ‘amber’ if dates for completion have been identified. The school are to keep the system as ‘red’ until in action or completed as this enables people to be held to account. The rating would change to amber when evidence of delivery is in place.


Members requested that non-negotiables be placed at the front of the document.


The document will be validated, based on evidence, by Chris Cheswright and the SIPB. The SIPB is in place to ascertain as to whether the school is achieving its targets against the school action pan.


The members expressed concern that the individual subject predictions did not match the expected %A*-C predictions.

The school are aware that data presented is currently inadequate, this is being addressed.


13/14/66 Chairs Action

John Grover visited the school and was in attendance when Chris Brown was offered a permanent position.


13/14/67 Finance Update

Members confirmed receipt of the previously circulated report.

 

Cashflow is a significant problem at the moment. The payment from the Local Authority has been authorised and is expected to be received imminently. Members noted that the retraction of rates is being addressed by the LA, as previously agreed.


Murray Foster, as designated Member, has presented a series of questions to Chris Brown and is scheduled to meet with him on the 16th June 2014.


Members queried the currently negative catering budget. This is to be addressed at the meeting on the 16th June 2014.

Capacity within the Finance Team remains an issue, this is to be discussed further with the LA.


13/14/68 Memorandum of Understanding

John Grover and Murray Foster signed a Financial Memorandum of Understanding between WHSG and Futures in order to secure reimbursement for the provision of teaching.


13/14/69 Feedback from areas of Responsibilities

Members confirmed receipt of the updated Safeguarding requirements from September 2014.


Neil Bates is scheduled to meet with Wendy Colman and Ray Lawrence prior to the next meeting of the IEB.


Neil Bates advised that he had attended an informal meeting at the school and the improvement in behaviour was evident.


Murray Bates has met with Chris Brown and the new HR advisor.


John Grover has visited the school twice, since the last meeting.


Members agreed that they would be linked to Departments in the next academic year this would be arranged by SCR.

ACTION: STUART REYNOLDS


13/14/70 ‘14 – 19’ Provision

Neil Bates advised members that Prospects is to formally become an FE college from September 2014. Prospects will become a college of advanced technology and provide a higher level provision. Three quarters of the provision is at a Level 3 or equivalent. Prospects will not be abandoning its commitment to young people, they will be invited to come onto programmes if it is believed that they can get to a Level 2 in a period of time. Prospects will no longer be offering Level 1 courses that do not lead to further programmes.


Prospects are keen to see that this happens at both Prospects sites. Children at Futures will have the opportunity to access apprenticeships and are to be encouraged to take advantage of these opportunities. Prospects are looking to re-establish links with Futures in order to provide pathways for students to lead to employment.


If Prospects is a FE college would that mean that POST 16 students would be on the roll of the FE college at 16?

Yes


What about 14 year old pupils who wish to carry out Level 2 courses, are you not prepared to continue to teach KS4?

Only if the school commissioned this as an offer, they would stay on the role of the school in years 10 and 11. The children on the ‘schools to careers’ courses in Year 10 currently will continue.


So for children at age 16 at Futures there is no longer a provision here, if they are to go to college we would not have enough numbers to finance a sixth form?

The school are running Hair and Beauty next year for the sixth from in Prospects.


Members noted the importance of determining the whole status of the sixth form, if Futures are to provide Health and Beauty they would also have to ensure that students achieve maths and English at the same time.


Would there still be room for hair and beauty in the new way forward?

Prospects are asking the school for an indication of their space requirements in the upper college.


Prospects is a specialist provider in engineering.


Is there going to be an entry minimum criteria for people coming into Prospects?

Yes - but not based on academic results, Prospects will make a judgement on whether they can make progress sufficiently in a year in order to access the programme.


Members noted the new legal entity severing of what has been in place previously. As a FE college Prospects will be a total separate entity. Members enquired as to the legal implications of this?

Neil Bates and LA to look at the SLA and use of facilities and feedback to members.

ACTION: NEIL BATES AND LA


Members noted the potential safeguarding issues, as an FE college some learners will be going up to the age of 25. Members requested that an immediate piece of work be carried out around safeguarding and shared usage.

ACTION: NEIL BATES


Jane Theadom agreed to speak to LADO to confirm safeguarding requirements.

ACTION: JANE THEADOM


Members were asked to consider further questions and potential cost implications for discussion at the next meeting.

ACTION: AGENDA ITEM


Members noted that Prospects will have a new Governance Structure in place as at 1st September 2014.


13/14/71 Academy Status

Members were advised that the DFE representative has met with Simon Leftley and Jane Theadom. The DFE are aware that a new Headteacher is in place and a new IEB and early impact has been demonstrated. This will be discussed further following the first monitoring visit.


13/14/72 Policies

Members noted the requirement to ratify the revised Pay and Medical Conditions Policies, when issued. The Clerk agreed to forward Medical Conditions information to Stuart Reynolds.

ACTION: CLERK


13/14/73 Stakeholder Communication

Members noted that a newsletter containing an IEB update has been distributed.


13/14/74 Any Other Business

Members confirmed receipt of the DFE response.


13/14/75 Dates and times of Next Meeting

7th July 2014 5.00PM

21st August 2014 4.00PM

15th September 2014 4.30PM


There being no further business the meeting ended at 7.45PM.